Last Thursday’s talk was by Bunnie, the VP of Hardware Engineering at Chumby Industries.
The whole session basically revolved around his life story, and what he looked for in jobs, which I agree totally by the way. Once you reach a certain amount of money, the only thing that should matter from then on is whether the job is fun.
I was quite shocked when he mentioned he had a Phd though. The idea that a hacker and a guy who loves to reverse engineer stuff just didn’t match the imagery I had in my brain of a prof/academic. He is one cool dude. I think we need more profs like him. People who can do real stuff, and does it for the fun of it.
Just a bit of background on who he is, he was the first guy who hacked the Xbox, with only $150 worth of equipment, when academics were publishing papers saying you needed a couple of hundred thousand bucks worth of equipment.
- StartupRootsSG event with Darius
- It’s not about being a hero. It’s about being something more.
- Dinner with @StartupRootsSG and Company Morale
- Jeff Jonas + Ian Mcfarland talk @StartupRootsSG
- Recap on UX panel with StartupRootsSG